Over a period of just weeks, three people, including an elderly couple and a young boy, were killed by carbon monoxide poisoning after they stayed at a Best Western facility in North Carolina.
What’s disturbing is that the elderly couple died in April of carbon monoxide poisoning, but local medical examiners failed to identify carbon monoxide poisoning as the cause of death back then. As a result, the hotel continued to rent the room to others. However, last week, an 11-year-old boy died after he was staying with his mother in the same motel room. His mother suffered serious injuries, and was hospitalized. In this case, the cause of death has been detected as carbon monoxide poisoning.
Investigators are now looking at the source of the carbon monoxide. The room is situated right above the mechanical room of the motel, and investigators believe that the poisonous gas leaked into the room either through the gas fireplace vents or air conditioner. There is also some speculation that the fumes came from the pool heater.
When the elderly couple was found unconscious in their room in April, the cause of death was mistakenly assumed to be simultaneous heart attacks. They were both in good health at the time. There was also plenty of negligence after the first death back in April. The medical examiner’s office did not send any representatives to the scene of the deaths, and even local emergency personnel who responded to the scene did not have any carbon monoxide detection equipment.
Now, police are asking people who may have stayed at #225 at the Best Western Plus Blue Ridge Plaza in Boone to contact police immediately.
In North Carolina, new houses are required to install carbon monoxide detectors, but motels are excluded from this requirement. As a result, there were no detectors in this particular motel.